The Epson Perfection V800 Photo is the top model among flatbed scanners in the middle price field. Besides paper photos and documents the device can also digitize film material. In the content of delivery there are masks for mounted slides, 35mm film strips, medium format film strips and 4x5" large format films. Larger films can also be scanned by putting them directly on the glass surface.
As you can read in our Review about the Epson Perfection V800 Photo
the Epson Perfection V800 Photo scans effectively with 2300 ppi at a nominal resolution of 4800 ppi, if you use SilverFast Ai Studio even 2600 ppi. So the Epson Perfection V800 Photo provides effectively scans with 6,7 Megapixels in the 35mm area (8,6 Megapixels with SilverFast Ai Studio).
As you can also read in our Test report about the Epson Perfection V800 Photo
all film holders are adjustable in height. Furthermore all film holders except the one for mounted slides have glass covers. These glass covers, however, have a negative impact on the image quality. The Epson Perfection V800 Photo provides a much better image quality if film holders without glass are used. That's why we recommend to scan normal film material with film holders without glass cover and use the standard film holders with glass covers only for strongly curled film material. The film holders without glass are optionally available in our category Epson accessories
. Additionally they have the advantage that they can be loaded with more film material at a time: 4 35mm film strips instead of 3, 2 medium film strips instead of 1 and 2 4x5" large format films instead of 1.
The Epson Perfection V800 Photo shows its best quality when operated with the professional scan software SilverFast Ai Studio + IT-8 target calibration. In order to achieve the best image quality we recommend to use SilverFast Ai Studio. With the SilverFast IT-8 colour calibration it is possible to calibrate your scanner individually and work within a professional colour management workflow. Thus the image quality of the scanner can be considerably increased and you do not have to spend a lot of time for extensive image editing after scanning. We offer the Epson Perfection V800 Photo together with the SilverFast scan software for a low bundle price.
Please, choose above, below the price information, between the SilverFast version SE 8, SE Plus 8 and SE Archive Suite 8. The essential difference between the SE and the SE Plus version is the multi-exposure function of the SE-Plus version. Multi-exposure means that a photo is scanned with different exposures and that an optimal image is computed from the different scans. This partly leads to a significant increase of the image quality of the scans. More information about that function you can find on our SilverFast FAQ-site under Multi-Exposure. An additional feature of the SE Plus version is the automatic frame adjustment; this has the big advantage, that you don't have to position the originals on the glass surface of the scanner exactly, i.e. you can place them askew as well. The SilverFast SE Archive Suite contains additionally to the SilverFast SE Plus software the SilverFast HDR software, so that you can create raw scans which you can process afterwards. More information about that can be found on our website SilverFast HDR Studio.
Please, choose above, below the price information, if you want to order the scanner with or without Adobe® Photoshop® Elements. You can find information about the different versions on our website Adobe® Photoshop® Elements Version Comparison.
Convert all your treasured memories to digital using this professional-quality, 6400dpi scanner. The V800 requires virtually no warm up time and includes high-quality film holders to help deliver fast, high-quality results. For improved clarity, dust and scratches are automatically removed from film and photos.
- Choice of resolution The V800 features a dual lens system that automatically selects the optimal lens, with up to 4800dpi optical resolution for reflective photo scanning and 6400dpi when scanning using film holders.
- Scan from any source Scan 35mm strips and slides as well as medium format and 4x5 inch large format film in sharp focus thanks to the improved film holders with their adjustable height control and rigid design. The V800 also supports non-standard film formats up to 8x10 inch when placed directly on the scanner glass.
- Cleans-up images Digital ICE technologies automatically removes imperfections such as dust, hair, scratches and fingerprints from both film1 and photos to restore images to their former glory with the minimum of effort.
- The right tone Take advantage of excellent tone reproduction with 4.0 DMax optical density.The V800 can detect the exact tonal range of the original, making sure the brightest and darkest areas of images are accurately reproduced to reveal impressive detail and dynamic range.
- Save time Epson's ReadyScan technology features an LED light source with a warm-up time of less than one second, so scaning can start almost instanly. With a very low power consumption it saves energy too.
- Scans everything:
Slides, film, medium format & prints
- Dual lens system:
Swaps between 6400dpi for slides and
film, and 4800dpi for photos
- Removes imperfections:
Digital ICE Technologies cleans-up old
film and photos1
- Dynamic range:
Accuratly reproduce tonal range and
gradation of the original
- Quick start:
Warms-up in less than one second
- Flatbed scanner with transparency unit
- Scanning Resolution 6.400dpi (Horizontal x Vertical)
- Optical Resolution 6.400dpi
- Optical Density 4 Dmax
- Light Source White LED, IR LED with ReadyScan LED Technology
- Color Depth Input: 48BitsColor, Output: 48BitsColor
- Interfaces Hi-Speed USB - compatible with USB 2.0 specification
- Product dimensions 503x308x152mm (Width x Depth x Height)
- Product weight 6,6kg
Supported film formats
- three 35 mm film strips with 6 frames
- 35 mm slide film x 12 images, all established mount thicknesses
- 120/220-Film (max. 6 x 20 cm) 2 frames
- 5 x 4 Zoll 2 frames
- 203 x 254 mm (with film area guide)
SilverFast 8 feature hghlights
- The new SilverFast 8 Preview Concept allows to assess the results even for complicated image optimization functions, such as iSRD and USM, at any time. A 100% zoom facilitates to properly evaluate and set the parameters of these tools.
- The user interface of SilverFast 8 has been completely redeveloped according to current standards. The controls can be arranged flexibly and freely on the screen according to personal preferences. All major functions can be operated quickly and easily.
- SilverFast 8 is fully capable of multitasking. For example, if several originals are to be scanned one after another, the user can already set the image optimization options for the second scan while the scanner is digitizing the first original.
- SilverFast SCC is a tool to perform a selective color correction in a very simple manner. Selective color correction means that a single color is selected and changed specifically, but all other colors remain unchanged. A mouse click in the preview window easily selects the color to be changed: SilverFast's Selective Color Correction is particularly intuitive.
- The Global Color Correction is an intuitive tool for controlling the color balance of the whole image. Particularly older images often show color casts that can be removed easily with GCC. The possibility to restrict modifications to half and quarter tones, allows effortless optimization of even those color shifts that are only visible in the very light or very shadowy image areas.
- The WorkflowPilot is a wizard that guides the user in the correct order through all required processing steps. Depending on material and intended purpose there is a different workflow that will be worked on with the WorkflowPilot step by step.
- SilverFast HiRePP will dramatically speed up the process of loading and working large image files.
Scope of delivery
- Scanner Epson V800 Photo with transparency Unit
- 4 Filmholder: each for 35mm Films and Slides, medium format strips, 4x5i and 8x10i large format
- spare film height adjusters
- Epson Software CD
- Setup guide
- SilverFast SE 8 / SE Plus 8 / SE Archive Suite according to your choice above
- Optional: Adobe® Photoshop® Elements according to your choice above
- AC Power Adapter and Cord
- USB Cable
- Windows 64-bit systems: Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10
- MAC 64-bit systems: Mac OS X from 10.7
- 2 GHz Processor or faster (Multi-core recommended)
- 2 GB RAM main memory (4 GB RAM recommended)
- 2 GB free space on hard disk drive for the software file
- Up to 20 GB free space on the main system hard disk drive for the cache
- DVD drive or internet connection
- Latest firmware installed on scanner device
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop CS3 to CS6 and CC.
(Photoshop CS6 and higher on OS X are only supported if 64 bit drivers are
available for the scanner.)
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop Elements 8 to 13.
SilverFast 8 can also be installed on Windows as a TWAIN module.
Note: SilverFast 8 is Intel native software and thus it is not available for
PowerPC Mac systems (Those G4-microprocessors were only produced until the End of
Compard to the predecessor model Epson delivers the V800/V850 with film holders with glass covers. As you can read in our review these glass covers have a negative impact on the image quality. That's why we recommend to use film holders without glass. Except the here shown 35mm film holder without glass there is also a medium format film holder without glass
and a 4x5" large format film holder without glass
. Additionally, these film holders have the advantage that they can be loaded with more film material at a time: 4 35mm film strips instead of 3, 2 medium format film strips instead of 1 and 2 4x5" large format films instead of 1.
For the cleaning of the glass surface of the scanner we recommend the scanner cleaning set from Kinetronics. The set consists of an anti static cloth, with which you can clean the complete glass surface, and an anti static brush for cleaning smaller parts, but also for cleaning film material. Both the cloth and the brush have the special feature that they remove static charges, which adduct dust magically.
If the glass surface of the scanner is covered with strong dust we recommend the use of the Kinetronics cleaning fluid PLCD. That's a high value cleaning fluid, which has been developed especially for the cleaning of optical glasses and glass surfaces. With a couple of drops you can effectively remove dust and dirt.
When working with film strips it can often happen that you accidentally touch the emulsion side of the film. The damage often is irreparable. You can avoid damages to the film material and comfortably insert film strips into the scanner or film holder by wearing fine cotton gloves.
Anti-dust spray is used to clean film material - no matter if it's mounted slides or film strips - by removing dust and fluffs with a flimsy current of air without touching the film material at all. There is no better, more comfortable and more efficient way to clean your film material.
For working with single negatives or positives we highly recommend using tweezers, because otherwise you run the risk of touching and damaging the film.
Those who work
with digital images - no matter if they come from a digital camera or from a film
scanner - should absolutely calibrate their screen. Without a screen calibration
performed with objective criteria you run the risk of wrongly adjusting the settings of
the scan or the image editing software, which makes the image look right on your
screen, but will cause unnatural alienated colours on other output devices (printer,
image service, new screen).